As you get older you start to feel the loss of flexibility and agility in you. Your body seems to be getting worn, especially your joints. Cold weather and similar triggers may cause the knee joints and the hips to ache and lead to gradual loss of movement in the joints. These are often the main signs of arthritis in a person.
Cocoona Day Surgical Center is the top choice for thousands of patients from the region to get the best and most affordable arthritis treatment.
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is a joint disorder that causes major joints in the body to become inflamed and painful. This can be due to old age as the cartilage between the joints gets worn out. It can also develop due to an injury to the joint as well as an infection in it. Arthritis results in intense pain in the affected joints and restricts the movement of these joints to a large extent.
What are the types of Arthritis?
There are over 100 types of arthritis in total but three of these are most common. These common types of arthritis are:
- Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis is one of the most common types of arthritis. Osteoarthritis is known to affect the large and the small joints as well (such as the wrist, ankles. Hands, feet, hip, back, and knee). The most common reason for the development of osteoarthritis is aging as it causes natural wear and tear in the joints and cartilage with time. Osteoarthritis can also develop due to an injury. Osteoarthritis mostly begins with the degeneration of the soft cartilage tissue that supports and lubricates the joint. This leads to the joint bones to rub against one another and get eroded. Osteoarthritis is commonly seen in the larger joints such as pelvis, spine and the back.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Rheumatoid arthritis is another common arthritis type. This is caused when the person’s immune system malfunctions and starts attacking the body’s tissues. Rheumatoid arthritis usually affects the joint lining and cartilage. This results in the erosion of bones in the joints. Rheumatoid arthritis develops in the knee, elbow, wrist and finger joints. It can cause severe deformity as it progresses gradually.
- Gout: Gout is another common type of arthritis. It is caused due to abnormal deposits of uric acid crystals in the joint which causes the joint to get inflamed. Initially, gouty arthritis occurs only in a single joint but eventually spreads to the other joints and has swift debilitating effects. Gouty arthritis causes the joints to be severely inflamed and painful which restricts their function to a large extent.
What are the signs and symptoms of Arthritis?
These are the most commonly seen signs in the various arthritis types:
- Stiffness of joint
- Continuous aching of joint
- Restricted limb and joint movements
- Fatigue and malaise
- Muscle aches
- Tenderness in the joints
How is Arthritis treated?
There are various surgical and non-surgical methods used at Cocoona to treat arthritis effectively, however, the type of treatment method in a particular case depends on the type of arthritis and its particular symptoms. The various advanced non-surgical arthritis treatment methods successfully used at Cocoona Day Surgical Center are:
Physical therapy: Physical therapy is very effective in improving movement of the affected joints as well as providing relief from the pain to a large extent. Regular physical exercise also helps maintain the health of the affected joint and can work to prevent arthritis from worsening. The physical therapies aim to strengthen the joint muscles, improve joint endurance and restore the flexibility.
Medications: The various medications are helpful to reduce the symptoms. These can also help in improving the degenerative action of particular arthritis. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are most effective in decreasing the inflammation and swelling in the joints. The Cocoona Day Surgical Center also performs various forms of surgical procedures to treat severe arthritis:
Surgery: Surgery is mostly a last resort when the various non-surgical methods have been unsuccessful in treating the arthritic problem and relieving the painful symptoms. There are different types of surgeries that are selected depending on the symptoms of particular arthritis.
Types of surgical arthritis treatment methods and techniques:
- Synovectomy – This surgery is used to remove the damaged soft tissue which provides cushioning to the joint bones. This helps to reduce the swelling and alleviate the pain in rheumatoid arthritis. It also slows down the further degeneration of the cartilage and joints.
- Osteotomy – This surgical procedure is to correct the bone degeneration which develops from erosion. This surgery aims to cut and shape the bone and re-setting it better. This is done to avoid the bone ends from rubbing against one another.
- Resection – Resection procedure is used to remove a part of (or complete) bone when the bone joint has become painful and its movement restricted. This helps to relieve pain from the joint and to improve its functioning.
- Arthrodesis – This surgical procedure works by fusing (joining) the bones of the joint together in order to relieve the pain which is being caused by their movement. This also has an added advantage of the fused joint becoming stronger and able to bear more weight, being comparatively stable and the pain is also relieved.
- Arthroplasty – This surgical procedure is to rebuild the affected joint. This is also called a joint replacement procedure. It is usually performed by relining (resurfacing) the ends of the bones of the joint where the cartilage has been worn out. In a case of more severe arthritis where the bone ends in the joint are not repairable the surgeon will simply remove the ends of the bones and replace them with implants made of plastic, ceramic or metal alloys. This type of surgical method is widely successful and mostly preferred for larger weight-bearing joints such as the knee joint and the hip joint.
Cocoona Day Surgical Center is the best orthopedic specialty hospital which is managed by the top orthopedic specialists and expert orthopedic surgeons. Cocoona ensures that every patient gets the best, most advanced and highly-effective arthritis treatment at the right cost.