Broken Bones & Injuries
Our bones are strong and can withstand quite an impressive amount of weight and pressure. The skeletal structure of the body gives it the shape and support for mobility and performing the various normal tasks. The bones are one of the most important parts of the body. Even bones can get injured or break. This can be a result of a bone disorder or due to a severe injury (trauma) to the bone. Fractures (broken bones) may get completely broken or they may suffer partial fracture.
Cocoona Day Surgical Center in Dubai manages various simple and complex fracture and bone injuries cases successfully each month. The orthopedic doctors and surgeons at Cocoona are experts in treating broken bones (fractures) and other bone injuries using the most advanced and effective treatment method.
What are the types of Broken Bones (Fractures) and Bone Injuries?
Bones are hard and have no flexibility at all. If excessive stress (or pressure) is enforced on the bone it suffers cracks (simple fractures/partial fractures) or it may get broken in multiple places. The fractures may differ in severity depending on the force that broke the bone. The bone may also break in a way which causes the jagged broken bone ends to puncture the skin or cause a deep and penetrating wound as well. This is usually the most severe form of broken bone (fracture) and needs immediate and effective medical treatment. These are the common types of broken bones (fractures) and injuries regularly treated at Cocoona in Dubai:
- Stable Fracture – This is when the broken ends of the bones are still aligned and are not much displaced.
- Open/Compound Fracture – This may cause the skin to be punctured by the broken pieces of the bone or due to the severity of the impact (injury) on the skin.
- Transverse Fracture – This fracture is seen as a horizontal crack in the bone.
- Oblique Fracture – This fracture is seen at an angle to the bone’s length.
- Complex Fracture – This type of fracture results in the bone being broken in multiple places.
What are the causes of Broken Bones (Fractures) and Injuries?
The most commonly seen causes of broken bones, fractures and other bone injuries are:
- Trauma – A hard fall from a considerable height, automobile accident or a severe sports injury canresult in broken bone (fracture).
- Excessive Use – Using the bones to perform repetitive action (movement) results in the muscles getting tired and putting more force on the bone. Stress fractures are mostly caused due to these conditions and are most commonly seen in sports persons.
- Osteoporosis – This medical disorder causes the bones to weaken and more vulnerable to a break.
What are the signs and symptoms of Broken Bones (Fractures) and Bone Injuries?
Mostly fractures are severely painful and restrict movement of the limb (or body part) suffering the fracture. Other commonly seen signs and symptoms of broken bones (fractures) and bone injuries are:
- Tenderness around the injury
How are Broken Bones (Fractures) and Bone Injuries diagnosed?
The expert orthopedic specialists at Cocoona Day Surgical Center will initially perform a complete physical examination of the injured bone to identify the extent of the injury. Extensive x-ray tests will also help the doctor to identify the damage to the bone more clearly. This test also helps to confirm the general diagnosis. The type of fracture and its exact location can easily be determined using an x-ray image.
How are Broken Bones (Fractures) and Bone Injuries treated?
Every type of broken bone or fracture treatment mainly aims to restore the broken bone to its natural and normal shape and size. This involves putting the broken pieces of the fractured bone together in the proper manner and supporting them in place till they are healed (joined) naturally. This is also known as the ‘Reduction Method’.
Broken bones heal naturally of the bone ends are placed close together with the formation of new bone around the cracks and the edges. Surgery is mostly advised at Cocoona in Dubai for treating severe forms of broken bones or fractures. There is various treatment techniques used for treating broken bones. The exact treatment method depends mainly on the severity of the break, the type of wound (open/closed) and the bone suffering the fracture. These are the various treatment methods used at Cocoona Day Surgical Center in Dubai to treat broken bones (fractures) and bone injuries:
- Cast – This involves using a cast of fiberglass/plaster to immobilize the broken bone after resetting the pieces in their natural position. This is the most common form of treatment of broken bones (fractures) as well as for mild forms of bone injuries. This technique stabilizes the broken bone and allows it time to heal naturally on its own.
- Brace – The brace allows limited movement of the surrounding joints near the injured bone.
- Traction – This allows for aligning the bone pieces gently by a gradual pulling action using weights attached to a wire and pulley system.
- External Fixation – This type of procedure requires metal pins, screws, plates and rods to be fixed after and before the break (fracture) in the bone. These are then fixed onto a metal rod placed outside the skin. This helps to stabilize the frame as well as hold the bones in the natural position to allow normal healing. External fixation devices are also useful in stabilizing the bone until the wound (injury) on the skin is healed enough to allow for surgery.
- Open Reduction/Internal Fixation – This procedure requires positioning (reducing) the broken bone fragments in their natural location and then stabilized in place using metal pins, screws and plates by attaching them to the surface of the bone. The bone fragments (pieces) may also be stabilized using a rod which is inserted within the bone marrow space inside the bone.
How is recovery after treatment for Broken Bones (Fractures) and Bone Injuries?
Broken bones and fractures usually take several weeks to a few months to heal completely. The time period for recovery in individual cases may vary depending on the extent of the injury as well as the type of treatment method used. It is highly advisable to follow the doctor/surgeon’s instructions regarding rehabilitation to allow for effective and complete healing.
Cocoona Day Surgical Center in Dubai is a complete treatment center for broken bones and injuries. The expert orthopedic specialists and orthopedic surgeons at Cocoona are well-experienced in managing various cases of broken bones and other bone injuries efficiently and successfully.